Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pat Gudauskas Soon To Compete In WQS At Lower Trestles

ASP is set to host mainland America’s first ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star PRIME event when the 6.0 Lowers Pro runs from April 28 through May 2, 2009 at the famed cobblestone reef of Lower Trestles in San Clemente, California. Running in conjunction with the esteemed event will be the ASP Grade-2 Oakley Pro Junior.

Vans Surf Team rider Patrick Gudauskas (San Clemente, CA), 23, is a local favorite and top seed in the 6.0 Lowers Pro who is looking to capitalize on his familiarity of Lower Trestles in order to work towards his goal of qualification for the ASP World Tour next year. The motivated regular-footer is hoping to claim his share of the ample ratings points on offer in front of his home crowd.

“I'd say I definitely feel like I have an advantage,” Gudauskas said. “ I grew up surfing Lowers and surf there all year long, and I think that will give me that extra edge to hopefully take it to the Final. It's a pretty straight forward wave, so I’m expecting foreigners to still be surfing really good, but there are some little personality traits of Lowers that the locals have surely become familiar with, and can capitalize on it!”

Since 2009 offers an additional 1000 points for ASP 6-Star PRIME events versus regular ASP 6-Star contests, Gudauskas is especially driven to produce a successful result on his home turf. He earned a berth in to the ASP World Tour Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach contest as an alternate and the opportunity to compete alongside the rest of the top 45 surfers on the globe has given even more spark towards his 2009 ASP WQS campaign.

“It was pretty exciting to get into Bells,” Gudauskas said. “In my heat I was a little under experienced on the wave itself, and fell in places that I shouldn't have. It was unfortunate, but the experience was priceless. Seeing the show up close and in person was inspirational. I think that same local edge at Bells can parallel with that at Trestles. It was extremely inspirational to be in the lineup with everyone and it has pushed my levels of froth to new heights, and I can't wait to get here this year!”